First Time Applicants for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
and/or Handgun Purchase Permit
1. Type or print all information CLEARLY on all forms.
2. All addresses must be complete with house number, street, town, state, and zip code and PO Box (If applicable).
3. All forms must be signed. It is requested you complete this in the presence of the law enforcement officer where you are submitting the application to.
4. Return all completed and unused forms.
5. Height shall be in feet and inches, Ex. 5'10"
6. Indicate Race with Asian, Black, American Indian or White.
7. If you are applying for a Handgun Purchase Permit, there is no limit on the quanity of permits you may apply for. (However, you may only purchase one handgun every 30 days.)
9. All first-time applicants for a Firearms ID Card MUST be fingerprinted. The fingerprint process will be completed by Idento (MorphoTrust). The required form needed to get fingerprinted is available at Readington Police Headquarters.
10. Once you are fingerprinted, you MUST return your fingerprinting receipt to the Readington Police, along with the following forms :
- Complete a Consent for Mental Health Records Search form. MUST BE SIGNED IN PRESENCE OF LAW ENFORCEMNENT OFFICER
- Complete a State of New Jersey Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit, Click here for Application.
- Complete Juvenile_mental_health form (click for form), if applicable (age 25 and under only).
- A recent paystub is required to verify your employment (not required for self-employed, unemployed or student(s); you may block out any personal information.
- All applicants who are United States citizens will be required to provide proof of citizenship when submitting an application for a Firearms ID card and Duplicate Firearms ID card. This can be in the form of a passport, certified or notarized birth certificate or immigration/naturalization papers.
- Non-residents will be required to provide proof of being in the country legally; this can be done with a government-issued visa. It must be the original paperwork; copies of any of these documents will not be accepted.
11. After being fingerprinted bring confirmation receipt from being fingerprinted, all required documents and completed paperwork to Readington Police.
Improperly prepared applications may delay the processing of your application
* The falsification of information on any of the applications for firearms permits is a violation of N.J.S. 2C:39-10c and is crime of the third degree. Any falsification may result in criminal charges against you